Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Pain Perdu or French Toast Cake

This cake is inspired by Ina Garten's French toast recipe. I liked the idea of making a cake with real french toast flavors. So I converted a simple Vanilla cake recipe and the result was a really moist cake (I guess because of the yogurt) with beautiful specks of orange from the zest and black from the vanilla bean in vanilla sugar. This cake was surprisingly moist even the next day, but tastes best warm drizzled with raspberry sauce. I had this slice of heaven for breakfast with coffee.
Ingredients
½ cup room temperature Butter  
1/2 cup Vanilla sugar
3 Eggs
180g or (1 +2/3 cup) Self raising flour
125ml of Greek style yogurt or Sour Cream
11/2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
1⁄2 tsp ground Cinnamon
¼ tsp ground  Nutmeg
1 tsp Maple syrup
1 tsp Orange zest
Method:
Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Sift the dry ingredients. Combine all the ingredients into a food processor and pulse for a minute. Make sure everything is well combined. Pour into an 8" greased round tin. Bake for about 35-45 min or until skewer inserted comes out clean. I like it with a drizzle of Raspberry Sauce.
For the Sauce
Blend handful of fresh or frozen raspberries in a blender along with a tsp of lemon juice, 3 tbsp sugar & 1tsp of raspberry liqueur and strain.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Oooh I absolutely love these flavors and the cake looks fabulous, dense and moist just like I love it! Great recipe and one I so want to try. My family would love this.

The Cooking Ninja said...

Yummy cake. I love cakes just hot out of oven. :) Smells so good and deliciously moist.

My Kitchen Antics said...

came across the blog thru sarah's fbc update...this cake is def a must try..esp since i love everything french and ofcourse french toast..cheers

Debugcooking said...

Nisha..this is a real must try cake...DO you have a twitter ID to follow? Were you at the FBC10?

Anonymous said...

You had me at "French Toast." French Toast was the first thing I ever learned to cook and has a special place in my heart so cake that tastes like it is...woah.

Post a Comment

Design © 2011 Laura Jane Designs